In Indonesia, food is so abundant and varied in types. Some food products that are currently constantly appearing on television screens always appear with cassing / new look such as; sausages, light snacks, drinks and so on. So that people are so enthusiastic when constantly crammed with new products in consuming them. Not only food, but also some other fashions that often flood advertisements here and there.
Today’s society says that modern society prefers instant wants and needs. The public does not want to struggle in propping the stomach. For example, in the morning we want to go to work, they prefer to buy bread, or try to cook mae instans which are more quickly and practically eaten when cooking rice / side dishes first. The question is, is it practical and ready-to-eat food that guarantees our health? What are the effects / impacts on our future health?
Well, presumably we all have to be vigilant and introspective of the fast food above. Because some health experts argue that this food contains various preservatives and various types that are very dangerous in the body. Of course foods that contain too much preservatives will be as toxic / toxic in our body’s metabolism.
With the description above, we want to investigate one of the food objects that is currently massiv in various media, namely sausages. Surely sausages are desired by consumers and have been consumed by the wider community.
According to Raharjo and Wasito (2002), sausages are salted and seasoned meat products, derived from the Latin Salsus (salt). This product is more popular because of its oval shape. Furthermore, sausages made from fresh meat have a higher level of suppleness than if made from withered meat.
Furthermore, Dedi (2012), the word sausage comes from the Latin word “Salsus”, which means salted or preserved. According to historical records, Greek documents written around 500 BC, sausages were first made by Sumarians (now Iraq) around 300 BC. At that time the people of Sumaria will face a famine season, then the idea arises how to make the excess food is still durable and can be eaten in good condition in the famine season. As a result, fast food is created from salt-flavored meat which is spiced and put into a shell from the animal’s intestine.
In many countries, sausages are developed with their respective characteristics, using local herbs and cooked as traditional dishes. Even some processed sausages are named after the city where the sausage originated, among others: Bologna Sausage was originally the name of a city in North Italy, Lyon Sausage originated from Lyon, France, in England for example, named as sausage Berkshire, Wiltshire, Lincolnshire and others.
It turns out that local-style sausages do not only exist outside Indonesia. If abroad is known as Sausage or Sausage, if in Bali the name becomes “sequence”. The name is “sequence” because to put the contents into the pig intestine is done little by little manually, in a way as if it looks like “sorted”. The main ingredient for making a Pork Order or Pork Sausage is pork intestine, then the pork is added into the base (complete Balinese seasoning), then fried until cooked and brown in color. But there are other traditional ways so that this sequence has a distinctive aroma and certainly much better. Before frying, the order is usually battled for several days or smoked. Only after dry, can be fried.
Types of sausages
Knowing more about sausages, of course we don’t only know the extent of sausages. This means that there are still many understandings about the types of sausages that are like anything. While the above explanation we just package understanding, or sausages are good and only bad.
Furthermore, based on the fineness, sausages can be divided into 2, namely:
- Coarse sausage, the processing is simpler, which is grinding the fat until smooth then mixing with fat until it is evenly distributed.
- Whereas sausage Emulsion, the mixing stage consists of mixing, counting and emulsifying.
Ingredients for Sausage Making
The main components of sausages consist of meat, fat, binding material, fillers, water, salt, and seasonings.
- All types of meat, can be used as a basis for making sausages. Meat is a source of protein that functions as an embodiment in sausages.
- Fat, in making sausages is useful for forming sausages that are compact and soft and improve the taste and aroma of sausages. Maximum fat addition of 30% by weight of meat to maintain texture during the processing.
- Binders and fillers, are distinguished by their protein content. Binder contains high protein, while fillers generally contain carbohydrates. Commonly used flour, rice flour, tapioca flour, soy flour, sweet potato flour, potato flour, bread flour, and skim milk.
- The added water is in the form of flake ice, or cube, to keep the temperature of the dough during the mixing process remains low (0oC). Besides functioning as a dispersing phase in the meat emulsion, water also plays a role in dissolving sarcoplasmic proteins and salt.
- Salt, serves to give flavor, preserve and dissolve protein. Kitchen salt has an influence on the development of the volume and binding capacity of water from meat. Polyphosphate salt serves to maintain color, reduce shrinkage during the cooking / cooking process and emulsion stabilizer.
- Spices, which are additional ingredients that are often used in making sausages, including sugar, nitrites, and spices. Several types of sausages, especially those with an international flavor, already have ready-made spices in packaged condition.